This 1945 issue includes one of the only photographs of women at work in a courtroom within in the Law Library's special collections. The woman to the right of the center column is likely either Virginia H. Currie or Mary W. Goode, who were stenographers. Both were residents of Richmond. The field of stenography was female-dominated by 1930, and court stenography was no exception. These women were educated in shorthand and trained as typists. Court stenographers frequently already had some connection with the law community, as did Currie, who divorced her husband, an attorney, two years prior to this photograph.
Constitutional conventions, Stenographers, Conduct of court proceedings